Pollo alla Cacciatora

This one is a recipe out of one of my favorite cookbooks, Naples at Table by Arthur Schwartz.  I have yet to make a recipe I disliked out of this one, and I honestly believe that it should be in every serious cook's collection.  To this end, I have given it to practically every member of my family at one time or another!

(One other point-- my daughter Natalie wishes you to know that she gives it 5/5 stars.)

3T olive oil
2 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3- 3 1/2 lb chicken cut into 8 pieces*
1 medium onion, cut in half, peeled, and thinly sliced.
2 4-5 inch sprigs fresh rosemary (or 2 t dried rosemary)
1/2 cup dry white wine
salt to taste
big pinch of hot red pepper flakes
2 cans diced tomatoes, drained**

1.   In a large sauce pan, saute the chicken in the olive oil until it is browned on both sides.  If the chicken crowds the pan, brown it in batches.

2.   When the chicken is browned, add the onion and rosemary to the pan and saute until the onion is tender.

3.   Add the white wine, and season with salt and pepper flakes.  Cook until the wine is mostly evaporated.  Turn the chicken a few times before the wine is evaporated.

4.   Add the tomatoes, cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer without turning about 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is done.  If you use a whole chicken, make sure the skin side faces up during this stage.

5.   Remove chicken to a platter, turn heat to high and let the sauce reduce for a few minutes.

6.  Serve by pouring sauce over chicken and pasta or rice.

*I use breasts to cut down on the fat- plus, I just like chicken breasts best!  The original recipe calls for a whole chicken.
** I used one can plain and one can with Italian Seasoning

Comments

Popular Posts