Spicy Black Beans and Rice

There's a bit of a story behind this one.  I had volunteered to bring something vegan to a church committee meeting several days ago, but had almost no time to put it together.  I decided to make a black bean soup, and started out with the flavored black beans and the two kinds of Rotel.  It didn't really get eaten.  Too hot.  I took it home, and put it in the refrigerator for a few days, then purchased some plain black beans and went back to work.  This is still food tossed together, but it actually came out quite well, finally!  I'll enjoy eating it for lunch next week.  Kuner, by the way, is a local brand of canned goods here in Colorado.  The original factory is in Longmont where I lived for many years.

INGREDIENTS
1 can Kuner black beans with cumin and chili spices
1 can Kuner black beans with jalapeno and lime
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles and Chipotle peppers
4 cups water
1/2 cup lime juice
2T dried onion flakes* (or replace with 1/4 cup fresh diced onion)
1 T ground cumin
(This is where I ended the first day.  TOO SPICY!)
2  cans plain unsalted black beans
1 can corn
Rice, either white or brown, cooked


Combine all ingredients except rice and simmer over low heat for about one hour.  Serve over the rice.


Comments

  1. Sounds good! Lime juice right at the end retains more taste. I am now hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually really is! Next time I'll add the line juice at the end...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts