Cucumber and Tomato Salad

I originally came across a version of this in The Best Book of Greek Cookery, by Chrissa Paradissis, a cookbook published for the tourist trade which I got on a trip to Greece in, I think, 1987.  Since then, I've made it many times, more or less following the recipe depending on my mood.  At this point, it's essentially my version.  I prefer English cucumbers because the skin is thin, and not particularly bitter like conventional cucumbers.  If you use the latter, I recommend peeling the skin.  Any type of tomato will do, but you should end up with fairly even amounts of tomato and cucumber.

INGREDIENTS

2 English cucumbers, sliced, and the larger rounds cut in half.
3-4 ripe, but not soft, tomatoes, cut into wedges.
about 1/3 of a smallish red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
fresh oregano leaves
olive oil
lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix first seven ingredients in a salad bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Serve chilled.

VARIATION: throw in 1/2 cup feta or fresh mozzarella cheese.



Comments

Popular Posts