Shepherd's Pie

Whenever I make the pot roast I just posted, I always seem to have quite a bit of left over gravy after the meat is gone.  This is a recipe that puts that gravy to use. If you have left over mashed potatoes, you can use them for the topping, but I often use instant mashed potatoes instead.  The last time I made it, I got them flavored with roasted garlic and chives, which was very good.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
Chopped onion
1 T minced garlic
Left over vegetable gravy from pot roast
1 1/2 cups peas and carrots, frozen
1 T oregano
1 t red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Mashed potatoes

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic.  Add the gravy, peas and carrots, and seasonings.  Blend.  Place in the bottom of a casserole and cover with first the cheese then the mashed potatoes.  Cook, uncovered, in a 350°f oven for about half an hour until the potatoes are slightly browned on top.

Comments

Popular Posts